Re: Baptism

From: Blahoslav Cicel (cbmost@iol.cz)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 07:55:46 EST

Tom,

translating EIS hEN SOMA (1 Cor. 12.13) as "for to be one body" is only
an exegesis of "into one boby". At the moment you are put INTO the body
(as long as you are not considered an intruder) you become a part of the
body and you ARE ONE BODY with all the rest.
So, you can understand it both ways - directional or intentional
(telic). That is my opinion.

As support to that view cf. Mt 3:11 where John the Baptist sais: EGO MEN
hUMAS BAPTIZO *EN* hUDATI *EIS* METANOIAN. In Mk 1:8 there is no
preposition at all: EGO EBAPTISA hUMAS hUDATI. Similar in Lk 3:16: EGO
MEN hUDATI BAPTIZO hUMAS...

Could I see the difference between EN, EIS and EPI this way?

EN TW ONOMATI stands as opposing to the (EN) hUDATI to display the
difference between the baptism of John and Jesus.
EIS TO ONOMA stands as the paralle to the EIS METANOIAN (in the telic
sense) to express the goal of identification with the ONOMA thus the
person of Jesus.
EPI TW ONOMATI stands to declare the base of the faith - Jesus is the
Christ.
The different facets of one fact.

If I'm wrong (or I'm trying to be too accurate), shot me down :) -> :(

<>< God bless you all.

Blaho