Re: Married Only Once

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 08:43:15 EST

At 8:25 AM +0000 2/24/99, Jim West wrote:
>At 06:44 AM 2/24/99 -0600, you wrote:
>>Denny Diehl here
>>
>>This past weekend I was looking at the NRSV and
>>noticed that MIAS GUNAIKOS ANDRA in 1 Tim 3:2
>>was translated "married only once", which suggests
>>the meaning "one marriage for a life time" instead of
>>"one marriage at a time".
>
>I take this little phrase a little differently than some. I think it is
>quite proper to translate "a one woman man". Now, I presume, everyone knows
>what a one woman man is- a man who is faithful to his marriage partner.
>This neither prohibits marriage after the death of a spouse nor divorce and
>faithfulness to the new marriage partner.
>
>And now- to the mass of disagreers--- "bring it on"-- :-)

I actually find myself in full agreement with Jim West on this one! And I
would add, without assuming, as I once might have done, that there is
linguistic influence at play here, that this conception of fidelity is
Hellenistic and finds expression in the Latin adjective UNIVIRA that is
found on the grave-inscriptions of many a Roman matron, indicating that the
lady in question was "a one-man woman" (VIR being, like Greek ANHR, the
word for both "man" and "husband").