Re: discourse boundary markers in Luke :February 28, 1999

From: VanEpps (ixthus@az.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 01:40:29 EST

I am not sure of the level of thought put into this idea, so please
disregard anything that is too basic:

For the past couple of weeks I have been greatly challenged by looking
at the LXX translation in comparison to its Hebrew parent text; ie. the
MT. This past week I was asked to research how the Greek handles the the
Hebrew narrative marker or time indicator throughout the book of
Genesis: the waw-consecutive Qal imperfect of HYaH. Almost every
instances found uses the same construction found here in Luke: EGENETO
DE, KAI EGENETO, and KAI EGENETO META, are all used to represent this
simple Hebrew construct and a basic change of seen. I was actually
thinking to myself this afternoon as to whether or not this was a
Hebraism or if it was simply good Greek. Wouldn't it be helpful to look
at the origins of this construct to see if we can come to a better
understanding of what Luke is doing semantically? To see if this Greek
construct has in fact been born out of the LXX literature or if it has
more of a Hellenistic side to it? Perhaps this will help us come to a
better conclusion as to how these narrative/time indicators are
represented lexically and syntactically.

CV