Howard, A Response to Petersen's Review of Hebrew Gospel of Matth ew

From: Williams, Wes (Wes.Williams@echostar.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 15:33:04 EST

Some list members may be interested in Howard's recent response to his book
"Hebrew Gospel of Matthew" that appeared on the TC list. Here is the link,
FYI....

 Subject: Howard, A Response to William L. Petersen's Review of Hebrew
Gospel of Matthew

Of course, the dates are interesting and belong in the TC domain. Something
I found of interest in the book from the Greek perspective were the several
variances between the Hebrew and Greek texts of Matthew. Here are a few
instances from Howard's categorizations of the differences between the
texts. Howard's final example was the base for a discussion on b-greek some
time ago.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams

    Puns

    54. Matt 7:6: "Do not throw your pearls before swine, lest they
    trample them under foot and turn to attack you." "Swine" (ryzx) and
    "turn" (rzxy) are similar in Hebrew, both in sound and appearance, and
    form a wordplay in the text.

     Word Connections

    64. Matt 19:9-13: He who takes her who has been divorced [h#wrgh]
    commits adultery. . . . Then they brought children to him . . . but
    his disciples were driving [My#rgm] them away [#rg = to divorce/to
    drive away].

   Pages 229-232

    92. In this segment, I discuss the use of the divine name in
    Shem-Tob's Hebrew Matthew. The Hebrew employs the symbol ~h for the
    Divine Name, which I suggest is an abbreviation for M#h, "the Name."
    This symbol occurs 19 times in the text, one time written out in full
    (28:9). Usually the Divine Name appears where the Greek reads ku/rioj,
    but twice (21:12 mss, 22:31) the Greek reads qeo/j, and three times
    the Divine Name has no correspondent in the Greek (22:32; 27:9; 28:9).