Re: 2 Clement 19

From: Randy LEEDY (Rleedy@bju.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 12:03:59 EST

Thanks to Mary and Dale for good posts on META TON QEON THS ALHQEIAS.
I was really stumped by that one, unsatisfied with Lightfoot's
translation "after the God of truth hath been heard." I suspected a
primitive copyist's error or some sort of slip regarding the
preposition, but I couldn't come up with an attractive alternative.
KATA in an oath formula does seem to fit admirably. So are we
conjecturally emending the text or are we charging the author with a
slip? Or further yet is there the possibility that META can actually
function this way (any other examples?)? At the moment I'm most
comfortable with the idea of emendation. Has anyone checked LSJ on
META to see if an oath formula appears anywhere?

If there were any other posts on this topic, I missed them; one of my
digests arrived in corrupted form and I was not able to read it. If
there were any other posts, especially if anyone suggested an idea
other than this one, I would much appreciate it if the poster(s) would
send me a copy so I can benefit from your thoughts on the question.

In love to God and neighbor,
Randy Leedy
Bob Jones University
Greenville, SC