Luke 6:27 ALLA hUMIV LEGW

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Mar 06 1999 - 14:23:33 EST

In Luke 6:27 we read:

 ALLA hUMIV LEGW TOIS AKOUOUSIN . . .

There is some disagreement among commentators concerning the role this
opening plays in the semantic structure of the Sermon on the Plain. Some
say it is a shift in audience addressed from the crowd back to the
disciples. So that we would see the following breakdown:

6:20-23 addressed to the disciples
6:24-24 addressed to crowd (?)
6:27f addressed to the disciples

There are others who see ALLA hUMIV LEGW . . . AGAPATE as a contrast
being draw between AGAPATE and MISHSWSIN (6:22). Some commentators
place some emphasis on TOIS AKOUOUSIN as specifying a specific subset of
those present at the sermon on the plain.

My main interest in this question is not determining which is the
correct answer. It is rather, to observe how the semantic structure of
this passage determines the answer to this question. An analysis of the
lexical/syntactical issues here will not resolve this issue. One is
forced to look at higher levels of discourse structure to address this
question.

****new subject****
A side issue and somewhat off topic is the general schema I am using to
look at Lukan narrative. Lukan narrative can be broken down into several
high level abstract semantic categories. There is nothing at all
profound about these categories. They are really quite obvious:

Lukan Narrative Semantic Categories

Movement (geographical)
Setting (time, place, historical issues, etc.)
Actions (the deeds of the main characters)
Speech (dialogue, teaching, etc).

Using these four meta categories we can make a further distinction
between structural categories and substantive categories. Movement and
Setting are structural categories because they are used to organize the
narrative. Actions and Speech are substantive categories because they
are the real core of the story. One should observe that the structural
categories are not without some substance. These categories do tell part
of the story. But looking at Movement and Setting from a semantic
functional perspective I decided to classify them as structural because
they are used to define the architecture of the narrative.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point