RE: Give God glory!

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Sat Mar 06 1999 - 21:24:53 EST

{James}
What I've been wondering, though, is whether DOUS DOXAN TWi QEWi in Rom.
4:20 also has this sense of "telling the truth". In this case, I would
understand passage as saying that Abraham was empowered in faith as he
told the truth about what God had done for him.

Does anyone else have any thoughts as to this possible translation in
Rom 4:20?

{Bill}
"Glory" is an enigmatic word in both English and Greek. I tend to see it as
an opposite of "despise" or "having a low opinion of." If I'm correct that
DOXA is related to DOKIA "opinion," might both Abraham's unhesitating faith
and the surrendering to God's Truth be examples of giving God "glory" in the
sense of exhibiting an "exalted opinion of Him and His power?"

The Scriptures show a consistent relationship to our opinion of God and our
behavior:

Proverbs 14:
2 He that walketh in his uprightness feareth the LORD: but he that is
perverse in his ways despiseth him.

You might say "giving glory" is "giving credit" in a profound sense:

Romans 1:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither
were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish
heart was darkened.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

So, I think your translation is good, as well as your observation.