Re: Mk 1.19

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 10:00:53 EST

At 9:43 AM -0500 3/8/99, Andrew T. Dolan, M.A., Ph.D. Cand. wrote:
>I would translate Mk 1.19 as " And going on a short distance, he saw
>Zebedee's [son] James and his brother John and them in the boat preparing
>the nets." At issue for me is how to treat KAI AUTOUS, which doesn't seem
>to be translated as "and them" in the major English versions. Are these
>AUTOUS somehow a reiteration of Zebedee's sons?
>
>KAI PROBAS OLIGON EIDEN IAKWBON TON TOU ZEBEDAIOU KAI IWANNHN TON ADELPHON
>AUTOU KAI AUTOUS EN Twi PLOIWi KATARTIZONTAS TA DIKTUA

No, rather I think that KAI AUTOUS is added here because of the context
into which this pericope of the call of James and John is set by the
evangelist; i.e., it is preceded by the call of Peter and Andrew
encountered in the immediately preceding pericope in a boat. For that
reason I'd convey the KAI AUTOUS KTL. as "them also in the boat, mending
their nets." However, another idiomatic sense of AUTOS in an oblique case
could be to indicate that Zebedee was in the boat (implicitly) and that
James and John were also in it. But I think it most likely that KAI AUTOUS
signals that this pair of brothers is analogous to Peter and Andrew in the
immediately preceding pericope.