Re: Discourse Spans (hierarchy)

From: CWestf5155@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 15:53:23 EST

Dear Clayton,

The issue of starting point for structure is very intriguing, and a case can
probably be made for many different starting points.

Using the teleological level as a starting point bothers me because in
comparison to the other three categories (grammatical, lexical, and
informational), purpose is most intuitively determined--and I've seen such
approaches becomes quite circular. You need an indisputed statement of purpose
to use it as a starting point. More than half the time, this is the very thing
that I'm trying to discover in the analysis. However, treating genre and
purpose as givens is common in 'top-down' analysis.

I like the informational approach (Young says: references to the same
participants, concepts, events, setting or the like). This tends to work well
with narrative as a starting point. I see deixis as being pretty instrumental
here.

But also, I think that tracing participant, repetition and reference chains
(and how they interact) are standard for any analysis. Actually, there is a
lot of cross-over between the lexical and informational approach as defined by
Young if lexical 'repitition' is defined broadly.

Nevertheless, I still see the analysis of the grammatical indicators as vital.
As often noted, Hellenistic Greek lacks the orthographic structure that
Western composition utilizes. In some ways, I think that the analysis the
material is similar to analysing spoken conversation--the authors give
signposts (discourse markers) to indicate how a given element fits with in
with the discourse. I like to work out the logical relationships between the
clauses and clause clusters based on the conjunctions, particles,
subordination, etc.

The grammatical 'spans' are extremely useful in detecting how the author
breaks up (or shifts) and presents the material--it can function like
paragraph indentation. And what is good about the grammatical features is that
they are formal indicators
.
Once I saw how some analysts overrode grammatical 'spans' on the basis of
their intuitive notion of topic, I realised how important it was to respect
them, and even use them as a starting point of anaysis (I'll give one
example--it is quite common to place a break between Hebrews 1:3 and
1:4--which breaks up a periodic sentence that the author unified
structurally).

Starting point is, after all, pragmatically decided. What is vital is that you
don't use one feature to build a case and then run rough shod over the rest of
the structural indicators.

Cindy Westfall
PhD Student, Roehampton