b-greek digest: March 17, 1999

From: David C. Hindley (DHindley@compuserve.com)
Date: Thu Mar 18 1999 - 23:36:56 EST

Message text written by "Mark Goodacre"

>Not all of these are public domain, though some are. On-Line Bible, for
example, has Stephanus - 1550, Scrivener - 1894 and Westcott-Hort. I
assume
that these are public domain -- there is no hint on the site of who the
copyright is held by if not. They also have NA26/27 (with no apparatus, of

course), which is definitely not public domain.<

I think that what they provide you with is a digitized version of a public
domain document, or of copyrighted documents that are used by permission
(like NA27). The digitation of the work, even ones that are in the public
domain as printed documents, make the digitized version copyrightable, or
at least they claim. So Online Bible can own the copyright to the digitized
version of a text the copyright of which is owned by someone else.

Hermeneutika, which publishes BibleWorks, makes it clear that the US
copyright to most of the digitized bibles they make available on their CDs
are owned by organizations such as Online Bible and certain Bible
societies, etc., and lets the user know what restrictions the copyright
owner makes for their use or reproduction. The same undoubtedly goes for
all the other companies making bible versions available publically.

My guess is that if it is distributed by them on the net, it is probably OK
for you to use it for education or research, and it can probably be quoted
in moderation in articles, but I'll bet money that permission must be
obtained from the copyright holder before large blocks of it are allowed to
be quoted in a commercially published book, etc..

Dave Hindley
DHindley@compuserve.com