Baskets

From: Randy LEEDY (Rleedy@bju.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 19 1999 - 14:47:47 EST

A colleague has made what I take to be a highly untenable suggestion
that HRAN KLASMATA DWDEKA KOFINWN PLHRWMATA in Mark 6:43 ought to be
understood as "they took up fragments, twelve fillings of baskets"
rather than "fillings of twelve baskets." He thinks there may have
been 144 basketfulls of fragments--a basket for each apostle, and
twelve fillings of these baskets. He's claiming that the indeclinable
DWDEKA should be taken as accusative modifying PLHRWMATA rather than
as genitive modifying KOFINWN. Before I come to a final conclusion
that he has flipped his gourd as well as failed to read Matt. 14:20
(yes, I know I'm being hard on him, but he knows how to give it
back!), I'm wondering whether anyone else has taken this view of the
passage, or, especially, if anyone is aware of anything in print
espousing or even suggesting this possibility? I've found no hint of
the idea so far, having checked Plummer, Swete, Cranfield, and a
number of grammatical databases.

Thanks.

In love to God and neighbor,
Randy Leedy