re: nails in the hands

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Wed Mar 24 1999 - 11:51:07 EST

At 08:42 AM 3/24/99 +0000, you wrote:
>support CHEIR as being more than just the hand or palm as we think of it.
>The binding of the hands here would of necessity be more than just binding
>ropes around the palms. Binding someone up would only be effective if it was
>done around the wrists.

There is archaeological evidence that the nails were driven through the
wrist when the Romans crucified folk. The Hebrew concept of "hand", anyway,
includes the wrist area and not only the palm and front of the "hand" as we
speak of it in modern America. Taking the crucufixion as historical, we can
rest fairly assured that the nails would have been driven through the wrist-
which, as I said, is in any event still the "hand".

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

jwest@highland.net
Biblical Studies Resources at:
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest