Re: Porphyry?

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Wed Mar 24 1999 - 12:04:51 EST

At 05:37 PM 3/24/99 +0100, you wrote:
>In John 7:8 (interesting text) there is a critical note to Porphyry.
Porphyrys text is not known but he is quoted by one of the churchfathers (I
don't have my GNT with me and I can't remember which churchfather)

I dont see any text critical note in NA 26 mentioning Porphyry. Maybe I
just missed it. Are you using NA 26?

>Who was he? I heard he was a philosopher trying to discredit the Christian
beliefs. Does anyone know the passage? Probably he would have attacked the
way Jesus first said he wouldn't go and the went to the feast anyway.

He was a neoplatonic philosopher. Student of Longinus. He wrote over 100
books mostly commentaries on Aristotle, Plato, and Plotinus. He may have
known snippets of the NT but it would be a little exaggeration to say that
he was well versed in it.

>Another question. The critical apparutus when referring to the Patristic
texts has no references as to where you can find the text. How would you
proceed if you wanted to study the passage in question?

It depends on which Church Father you are interested in reading. If you
visit a site called "the text this week", you will see that for most Gospel
readings there is a link to one of the fathers. That might be a good place
for you to start looking.

http://www.textweek.com/

Best,
Jim

Jim West, ThD
Petros Baptist Church- Pastor
Quartz Hill School of Theology- Adjunct Prof. of Bible

jwest@highland.net
Biblical Studies Resources at:
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest