Re: John 1:1-2

From: Theodore H Mann (thmann@juno.com)
Date: Wed Mar 24 1999 - 13:41:35 EST

>>George Blaisdell wrote:
>>Now, my friend, I am ignorant of the term 'antiphonal' [hymn]... Could
you help me out??

>Carl Conrad responded:
>"Antiphonal" (one occasionally finds "amoebaean" for this) refers to a
hymn in parts that are chanted back and forth by two (or more) choruses.
Think
>of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (-i?).

If you do listen to Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, however, you will
observe that the music is written for instruments, not voices. The
Concerto Grosso (which is what the Brandenburg Concerti are) consists of
a full orchestra (known as the 'ripieno') alternating back and forth with
a smaller group of instruments out of the orchestra (known as the
'concertino'). That's what you have to listen for in order to hear
'antiphony' in those compositions.

Theodore "Ted" Mann
Orchard Lake, Michigan
thmann@juno.com