RE: John 1:1-2

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 02:32:18 EST

>From: "Bill Ross"
>
>{George}
>A EN ARCH HN hO LOGOS
> B KAI hO LOGOS HN PROS TON QEON
> B' KAI QEOS HN hO LOGOS
>A' hOUTOS HN EN ARCH
> PROS TON QEON

(Bill)

>* does the fact that LOGOS has the article indicate authoritatively
that it
>is the subject?
>* would the article preclude LOGOS from being an adjective?
>* is there an adjectival form of LOGOS? ("logical")?
>* is there an adjectival form of QEOS? ("divine")
>* I notice that hOUTOS follows this verse. It seems to make a strong
case
>for LOGOS being the subject in B'
>* is it common to put the predicate nominative forward in the sentence?
>* if this reads "...and God was [being] the Word" - with QEOS as the
subject
>and hO LOGOS as the predicate noun, would the imperfect HN be saying:
>- the LOGOS is "of the genre" QEOS, or
>- the "identity" of the LOGOS was QEOS, or
>- can't say?

Bill! What an avalanche of questions!

And I don't know beans about most of them!

I look to the intensifying of attribution in terms of the explanatory
power of the center of the concentric chiastic parallels. On this
approach, B-B' forms the heart of this passage, and this in turn centers
precisely on the words TON QEON KAI QEON. A-A' gives the locus of the
heart ~ The 'chest' if you will. Chronologically, the progression
begins with EN ARCH, intensifies with PROS TON QEON, and culminates in
QEOS HN hO LOGOS, which I am seeing as an identity statement that causes
the other two [locus and direction]. What a thing IS determines where
it can be, and what it can do, you see... The rest I happily leave
alone...

Another marvellous thing is that in the triplet ARCH, hO LOGOS and TON
QEON, it is hO LOGOS that is centered on the front side, and hOUTOS that
is centered on the back side. I happen to believe that the whole of the
book of John is about this passage, and that it serves as an
introductory summary at the top that can only be understood when one
understands the whole of John. And I ain't there yet! :-)

George

George Blaisdell
Roslyn, WA