Re: Participles and Computer searches

From: Jim Poulsen (jp@accglobal.net)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 10:15:42 EST

The following paragraph from Randy Leedy's review of Logos and Bibleworks
might help explain some of the differences in the statistical results. Randy
offered the full text to anyone who wanted it and I found it to be an
exceptionally well written review of great assistance in deciding between
Bibleworks and Logos. Bible software is a significant investment (in both
$$$ and future time) and this kind of thorough review is greatly
appreciated. Thanks Randy, you've helped me (and I'm sure many others)
decide which resource best meets their needs.

I know there are a number of pastors/preachers on this forum and I wonder if
anyone has references for evaluations of sermon preparation and illustration
organizing software. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated by this
"little greeker". Please reply off-forum if this type of information isn't
suitable for publication on this forum. I'd also be interested in any forums
that deal primarily with homiletics.

Thanks,

--- Jim Poulsen

[*] By Randy A. Leedy. This is a pre-publication version of the review,
which
appeared in the Fall, 1996 issue of Biblical Viewpoint, the semi-annual
journal of the School of Religion of Bob Jones University. Copyright, 1996,
Bob Jones University; all rights reserved.

... "The fact that the two programs use New Testament morphological
databases
differing in philosophy brings about apparent discrepancies that raise
questions about accuracy. For example, LOGOS finds 1,625 imperatives in the
Greek New Testament, while BIBLEWORKS finds 1,833. The difference is due to
the fact that the Friberg system of morphology used in BIBLEWORKS includes
for
many words a functional parsing as well as a formal one. For example,
instances of imperatival future indicative and prohibitory aorist
subjunctive
are tagged with two parsings, one of which identifies the word as an
imperative.[13] LOGOS, on the other hand, uses the morphological database
prepared by the Gramcord Institute, which employs the traditional,
form-based
tagging system only. Problems with the Friberg morphology may extend beyond
philosophy, though. For example, the parsing given for EKPEIRASEIS in
Matthew
4:7 is aorist imperative, but for PROSKUNHSEIS and LATREUSEIS in verse 10
the
tense is given as present.[14] BIBLEWORKS users who prefer the traditional
parsing scheme will, at best, be constantly irritated by unexpected search
results and having to think differently than they are accustomed to think.
Furthermore, the clutter of undesired hits in some searches will invalidate
the statistical reports."