Re: Participles and Computer searches

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 1999 - 01:16:49 EST

Fellow BGreekers...

The following is offered purely for informational/educational purposes and
IS NOT meant as a criticism or endorsement of any product (I realize that
the preceeding seems very pedantic, but, frankly, I'm really sick and tired
of being accused of partiality, unfairness, etc., etc., ad infinitum, ad
nauseaum...so in the following there is no hidden agenda or meaning; it
should be noted in complete fairness, that the search in BWorks was done
with version 3.5, and their version 4.0 has, they say, an additional, more
formal, database...which I have not seen and cannot comment on, but a
comparitive run in BWorks 4.0 would be interesting and instructive, I would
think.).

As the Editor of the current edition of the GRAMCORD MorphGNT database,
used by Accordance and Bible Companion/GRAMCORD for Windows, I can't
explain all of the differences between the GRAMCORD database and the
Friberg (both of which are based on the NA26/27/UBS3/4 text).

The two areas of difference between them that immediately come to mind are:

1) Friberg tags a certain number of participles that they have deemed to be
functioning as Imperatives, with a different tag than the normal
participles; a user who is not aware of this will construct a search for
ptc and miss the "imperatival" ptcs (a category that I would personally
disagree with from a purely grammatical perspective).

2) The GRAMCORD database tries to follow BAGD "religiously" and that
sometimes means taking certain words as nouns, which are based on a frozen
participial form of a verb, and vice versa.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to ask those of you who are
relatively new to bgreek to please forward directly to me any problems you
encounter, not only in the GRAMCORD MorphGNT, but also the Westminster
MorphBHS and the UPenn/CCAT MorphLXX, since I'm part of the editorial staff
of both of those texts as well (co-editor and associate editor, respectively).

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com