Re: Revelation 22:3

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Mar 27 1999 - 13:59:27 EST

John Reece wrote:

> What is the antecedent of AUTH in Revelation 22:3?

John

The chapter division at Revelation 22 is infelicitous, perhaps
Stephanous was getting tired by this point being almost at the end of
his labors or perhaps his horse stepped into a gopher hole. Actually I
am not sure Stephanous provided us with this chapter division so the
blame me be misdirected.

The answer to your question can be ascertained by observation of what is
called, in discourse analysis, "referential persistence" see *Reed's
discussion of "Topicality" (p. 376). Starting in Rev 21:2 we have a
subject introduced which is persistently prominent as a topic through
your reference in Rev 22:3. There are a variety of co-referential terms
pointing to this subject in Rev 21:2-22:3, they include:

Rev 21:2 THN hAGIAN IEROUSALHM KAINHN
Rev 21:9 THN NUMFHN THN GUNAIKA TOU ARNIOU
Rev 22:10 THN POLIN THN hAGIAN IEROUSALHM
Rev 22:16 hH POLIS

And there are others, including numerous pronouns. Read through this
section and make a complete list. By the time we reach Rev 22:3 we have
been hammered with this subject so frequently that little doubt can
arise about the antecedent of AUTHi.

The topical persistence of THN hAGIAN IEROUSALHM KAINHN is quite
remarkable. This is an excellent passage for looking at both the subject
of Topicality and the Iconicity Principle (*Reed, pps. 377).

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Reed, Jeffrey T ãA discourse analysis of Philippiansä Sheffield Academic Press, 1997.