Re: Mark 14:72 EPIBALLW

From: Mark Markham (markhamm@topsurf.com)
Date: Mon Mar 29 1999 - 21:35:44 EST

Jonathan,

This has been a particular enigma for centuries so I won't solve it, but
light can be shed when you consider what others have concluded. Various
suggestions have been proposed "having thrown upon", but the lack of an
object makes it open for guess. Throwing himself on the ground is a viable
option as well as his mind, throwing the cloak on his head and running out
etc.

Hiebert (the guy I tried to impress you with) quotes Moulton, calling
attention to the use of this very form in a Ptolemaic papyrus, suggesting
that Mark means "he set to" and holds that the aorist participle with the
imperfect verb"expresses with peculiar vividness both the initial paroxysm
and its long continuance." In the speech of the day-- Peter fell to
weeping--crashing as it were into a state of grief. It was a deep, hard,
sustained weeping. Standing, running, covered or on the ground-- he was
thrown into grief.

What think you other Greeks?

Mark Markham
Heidelberg, Germany