Re: recommendation

From: Al Lukaszewski (alski@fuller.edu)
Date: Sun Apr 04 1999 - 10:27:19 EDT

The first round of Summers' NT Greek was a good introductory grammar;
however, the recent update is, IMHO, poorly done. I used it last year to
teach Greek and my class found more errors in the text and the workbook
than I was able to keep track of -- even simple copy errors from the former
edition!

My experience with the 8 case system was that my class became confused
about the extra three early on -- i.e., too early an introduction to syntax
on too little a grammatical base. I had to switch to the 5 case system and
tell them not to worry about the other three -- to learn them as
syntactical functions of 3 of the 5 cases.

Gradually I came to subsidize Summers' work with that of Machen and the
class turned out fine, but, sad to say, I lost a lot of people -- not only
mentally but attendance-wise -- because of the confusion and errors in the
new edition. If you have to use it, I would strongly recommend subsidizing
it from other grammars like Machen, et al.

Best wishes,
Albert Lukaszewski
FTS
alski@fuller.edu