RE: How to find the meaning of words (was: A question about tombs)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 20:21:26 EDT

I find it somewhat difficult to know what to make of this, inasmuch as it
appears to be in part some suggestions for determining word-meanings--and
in this respect, certainly, suggestions are welcome--, but also, to a
considerable extent, it appears to be a dialogue or critique of arguments
proposed on this list but not cited and of what may be an argument on
another list which is characterized rather than explained. If I may say so,
I think the absence of citation of what is being objected to here is almost
as much a hindrance to understanding as the lengthy citation of entire long
messages when one intends only to comment on one portion. I wondered
whether this was aimed at the private correspondence that was forwarded to
the list earlier today by Perry Stepp, but it's by no means clear that it
is: there's no knowing who the "you" of the "your" is and the reference to
something "below" is hanging without anything referred to.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu