Re: Gal 2:20

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 08:28:26 EDT

I agree with Carl's parsing of the verb form that I carelessly parsed
without much thought.

Carl wrote;

Which is exactly why I put the parenthesis (If indeed TOU hUIOU is
objective genitive!). There is no difference in grammatical construction,
but isn't that the case in making a lot of decisions about meaning in
Greek? Perhaps George is right that Paul was thinking ambiguously, but I
doubt it. I think if I were working on a translation for public
consumption, I would have a lot of marginal notes. I think that he was
thinking one or the other not both and I tentatively choose objective for
(Pauline) theological reasons which I will probably carry over to C-P list
when I return next week. This has been a good thread in which I learned
some modern Greek.

Carlton L. Winbery
Fogleman Professor of Religion
Louisiana College