Re: Acts 15:20, 29

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 08:56:08 EDT

At 7:38 AM -0400 4/14/99, Numberup@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>Greetings, this is my first post to this fascinating list. And since it
>is my first post, my apologies if this question has been answered
>previously.
>
>Is there any significance to the use of the infinitive middle,
>APECESQAI, at Acts 15:20 and 29, rather than the imperative?
>Grammatically speaking, is it because these verses are reporting a
>command given, rather than giving a command?

In effect, yes. In both instances the infinitive depends upon a governing
structure. In Acts 15:20 that governing structure is EPISTEILAI AUTOIS,
"instruct them ..." which calls for an infinitive; in 15:29 the major
governing structure is EDOXEN GAR TWi PNEUMATI TWi hAGIWi KAI hHMIN, but
that is completed with the infinitive structure MHDEN PLEON EPITIQESQAI
hUMIN BAROS PLHN TOUTWN TWN EPANAGKES--and finally, I think, the infinitive
APECESQAI with its complementary genitives is in apposition to BAROS with
its sense of "burdensome responsibility"--"It has seemed right to the Holy
Spirit and to us to impose no additional imperative burden of
responsibility upon you than these items, namely, to abstain from ...."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu