RE: Ephesians

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sat Apr 17 1999 - 08:57:49 EDT

At 3:58 PM -0500 4/16/99, Bill Ross wrote:
>{Carl}
>In my own experience it is not only unusual and unexpected but utterly
>unthinkable that an intransitive verb like EIMI should have a direct object
>or that a direct object should have the sense of "in."
>
>{Bill}
>Would this be another example of a transitive EIMI - with the object having
>the sense of "in?"
>
>QEOS HN EN XRISTW - 2 Cor 5:19

Bill, I honestly think it's time to go back and learn some fundamental
English grammar. I've found this is something that is unavoidable whenever
I've taught any language--it's imperative to review English grammar at the
same time one is attempting to explore how the Greek grammatical structure
is like and how it is unlike one's own language. Yesterday I came across a
little page on a a NT Greek lesson site that has just such a discussion of
English grammar for students of Greek. It's not that thorough, but it might
just be helpful if one finds that one's grip on fundamental English grammar
is somewhat problematic.

http://www.thechristian.org/LrnGreek/terms.htm

At any rate, be assured that EIMI never takes a direct object, that a
direct object is not going to be a prepositional phrase UNLESS that
prepositional phrase is substativized by prefixing a neuter article to it,
and that a direct object as such is normally the "recipient" of the verb's
action--it isn't going to have the sense of "in."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu