Re: Mk 3.28

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 05:56:08 EDT

At 20:52 18/04/99 -0400, you wrote:
>There's a construction in Mk 3:28 that isn't making sense to me: KAI HAI
>BLASPhHMIAI HOSA BLASPhHMHSWSIN. For the whole verse I have the following:
>Amen, I say to you that all sins will be forgiven the sons of men and the
>blasphemies whatever they should blaspheme. "The blasphemies" should be the
>subject of "should blaspheme," since one would expect the neuter plural HOSA
>to take a singular verb. I suspect there's a sense to the relative HOSA
>that I'm missing. None of the major English translations has helped.

Andrew:
I think the NRSV translation should help:

"3:28 "Truly I tell you, people will be forgiven for their sins and
whatever blasphemies they utter;

This concentrates on "people" lit. 'sons of men'.
Surely it is only because AFEQHSETAI is a passive that what is forgiven
to the _person_ becomes the subject, with the person forgiven going into
the dative.

But with the aorist subjunctive which follows "as many as" the verb is
plural because now we revert again to the "sons of men" as the 'people' who
blaspheme.

Does this make sense?

Regards,
Maurice