Re: Some questions on the usage of participles

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Mon Apr 26 1999 - 11:42:44 EDT

On 04/25/99, ""Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>" wrote:
[Moon]
> [...]

[Carl]

> The participle in these two
> >> verses is NOT attributive but PREDICATIVE, meaning that it has to be
> >> understood adverbially with the predicate of the sentence; in English these
> >> seem often to work best--or be most clearly grasped--when translated as
> >> adverbial clauses:
> >>
> >> ELPIS DE BLEPOMENH OUK ESTIN ELPIS: "Hope is NOT hope IF (WHEN) it
> >> is seen." PARAKOUSAS TON LOGON LALOUMENON: " ... upon overhearing the word
> >> WHILE (WHEN) it was being spoken ..."

[Moon]
> >Carl, clear! But if you are right, then the textbook "New Testament Greek:
> >A Beginning and Intermediate Grammar. James Allen Hewett, BA, BD, MA,
> >Ph.D"
> >is wrong. He said in p. 149 that those two verses are clear examples of
> >attributive participles WITHOUT the article.

[Carl]
> I am sorry to have to disagree. And while I don't want to say, without
> having thoroughly examined all participles in the GNT in their context,
> that there never are any attributive participles without the article, I do
> NOT believe that these two verses are clear examples of it; rather I
> believe that these are predicative. And I am strongly inclined to think
> that what's going on in this grammatical declaration has more to do with
> English translation strategy than it has to do with the right analysis of
> the text

[Moon]
Carl, what would you say about the following statements from p. 1105,
A Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research,
Robertson.

"(b) Attributive Participle
(a) Anarthrous. The article is not of course necessary with the
attributive participle any more than with any other attributive adjective.
..... This construction is not so common ..., and yet it is not wholly
absent from the NT. ... It is not always easy to draw the line between
the anarthrous attributive participle and the predicate participle
of additional statement."

Respectively

Moon-Ryul Jung
Assistant Professor