Re: EURHSEI Jo 10:9

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 27 1999 - 06:12:40 EDT

At 7:31 AM +0200 4/27/99, Vander Plaetse Frank wrote:
>Dear B-Greek members,
>Why not EUREQHSETAI after EAN TIS ....SWQHSETAI,EISELEUSETAI
>and EXELEUSETAI (Jo 10:9) instead of EURHSEI?
>Thank You for a hint.

The text as it stands: EAN TIS EISELQHi SWQHSETAI KAI EISELEUSETAI KAI
EXELEUSETAI KAI NOMHN hEURHSEI.

I don't quite understand what the question is--unless it is that you think
the future passive SWQHESETAI ought to be followed by a future passive
hEUREQHSETAI in the final verb. But as I read the logic of the conditional
construction here, SWQHESTAI gives the basic consequence of a decision by a
believer-sheep to enter into the good shepherd's fold as "he will be kept
safe", and then the implications of this SWTHRIA thus gained are spelled
out in the three following future indicatives: he/she will enter into and
exit from the fold SAFELY and he/she will find pasturage SAFELY. It is not
the believer-sheep that is to be FOUND but "pasturage"--clearly an
accusative object in the final predicate.

Or am I missing something in your question?

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu