Re: 3 questions......

From: Nichael Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Thu Apr 29 1999 - 06:55:55 EDT

Slingoo1tg@aol.com wrote:

> I have three questions that bother me, I thought that I would bring them up
> for any further ideas, and clarification.
>
> 1.) What was the exact wording on the cross, as (Matthew 27:37, Mark
> 15:26, Luke 23:38, and John 19:19) all seem to have different wordings?
>
> I have no idea, what to make of this one......

If by "exact working on the cross" you mean what was said "historically"
we simply don't know (and, in principle, probably have no way of knowing).

As to the question why the various Gospels record different words at this
point, the, I believe is quite straightforward: the various evangelists
are simply recording the different traditions known in each of their
respective communities.

> 2.) When Paul was on the road to Damascus he saw a light and heard a
> voice. Did those who were with him hear the voice (Acts 9:7), or did they not
> (Acts 22:9)? [...]
>
> 3.) When Paul saw the light and fell to the ground, did his traveling
> companions fall (Acts 26:14) or did they not fall (Acts 9:7) to the ground?
>
> I have no idea what to make of this one....

Similarly here, the author of Acts appears to be recording two different
traditions about Paul's vision.

Admittedly this is more problematic. It is easy to understand how
different evangelists, writing for different communities (not to mention
in widely different geographic locations) would know of different
traditions about a specific event. But it is harder to understand why a
(presumed) single author of Acts would have recorded different traditions.
Yet it is difficult to see what else could have been going on here.

Nichael

--
Nichael Cramer
work: ncramer@bbn.com