Re: Winged Feet

From: Daniel Ria–o (danielrr@mad.servicom.es)
Date: Sat May 01 1999 - 08:24:07 EDT

>This is slightly off topic.
>
>I was looking for an epithet like PODARKHS (Iliad A:121) but with the
>meaning winged feet. I found almost what I was looking for in Ovid
>Metamorph. 2:229 and Aristophanes Thes.1100 ( PODA hUPOPTERON) but I
>could not find this phrase used as an epithet. Perhaps there is no such
>usage. I was under the impression that this was used as an epithet of
>Hermes, Mercury perhaps others.

        PTERO/POUS, literally "winged feet" is the first compound I can
make for myself and it actually appears in the Anthologia Palatina 16.234
referred to, yes, Hermes "(ERMH=S O( PTERO/POUS". It is an epigram of
Philodemus, an epicurean philosopher and poet of the first century BC, now
well known thanks to the papyrological discoverings of Herculanum: He had
very good skills in the philology of his time and was very fond of the
creation of new words.
        Looking in the TLG I found the word used again in Eusthatius from
Thessalonica "Commentarii ad Homeri Odysseam" Vol. 2, page 9, line 41, this
time in reference to Perseus, and in the same place the author uses the
word A)RBULO/PTERON, with the same meaning. Now, a look at the DGE shows
that A)RBULO/PTERON is used again by Lycophron (s. III a.C., one of the
more difficult authors to read) Alexandra 839.