Re: subjunctive contingency

From: Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@f1n7.sp2net.wfu.edu)
Date: Mon May 03 1999 - 11:02:04 EDT

At 09:45 AM 5/3/99 -0500, Carl W. Conrad wrote in response to Mark House's
questions on 1 Jo 1:9, whether the
hINA clause (EAN hOMOLOGWMEN TAS hAMARTIAS hHMWN, PISTOS ESTIN KAI DIKAIOS,
hINA AFHi HMIN TAS AMARTIAS )
could represent a result clause and whether the subjunctive "carr<ied> with
it any implicit uncertainty:

> In sum, it seems to me that hINA + subjunctive tends to become in
>Hellenistic Greek the equivalent of what hWSTE + infinitive is in
>Hellenistic Greek, and also that the hINA + subjunctive construction is a
>"pregnant" one that is in the process of assuming a much more important
>function in the economy of Greek syntax.

Carl must have been typing this at the very minute I was checking A.T.
Robertson, so I'll just add a citation (p. 998). ATR has just quoted a
citation of Rev.13:13 "as the most porbably instance of hINA denoting
actuing actual result. But there are others just as plain, if not clearer.
 Thus 1 Jo 1:9....."

Mary

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343
336-758-5331 (NOTE: this is a new number) pender@wfu.edu