Re: MENOUN in Luke 11.28

From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (mauros@iol.ie)
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 05:56:27 EDT

At 00:41 06/05/99 -0400, you wrote:

>Interestingly, two common Roman Catholic translations, the Rheims Bible
>and the New American Bible, both render MENOUN with "rather" as in "Yea
>rather" and "Rather" respectively. Indeed, the "Yea rather" of the
>Rheims agrees with the Authorized (KJV).

Stephen;
Two more R.C translations are in agreement ( contra the number of times the
NJB changes some very odd translations in the JB )

JB:
'Still happier those who hear the word of God and keep it!'

NJB:
More blessed still are those who hear the word of God and

OTOH, Fitzmyer, in his own translation for the Anchor Bible volume 28A, gives:
" Blessed rather are ........"

And on p. 928, he has an informative note, which I won't attempt to
reproduce in full.
Initially making the point that here MENOUN is used at the head of a
sentence, against classical Greek usage.

He then goes on to list three different usages:
(a) adversative
(b) affirmative
(c) corrective [ "yes, but rather" ]

Citing Thrall in " Greek Particles in the N.T", "for Luke the first two
uses are to be eliminated " , quoting Thrall's reasons.
He concludes " hence, the last corrective sense is to be preferred" and we
are referred to Moule's 'Idiiom Book'

Hope this is of help.

Maurice
Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland ]

"Be certain your feet are planted in the
right place before you decide to stand firm!"