Acts 2:6

From: dano@ott.net
Date: Thu May 06 1999 - 09:51:52 EDT

>From one of the many lurkers on the list :-)

This is a passage that has puzzled me for quite some time and I
would like to ask for help.

This is the story of the upper room experience.. and the question I
have is this..

(Acts 2:6 KJV) Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude
came together, and were confounded, because that every man
heard them speak in his own language.

This gives the connotation that people begin talking about what
they had heard was going on. (noised abroad)

Darby's and Young's agrees with this..

(Acts 2:6 DNT) But the rumour of this having spread, the multitude
came together and were confounded, because each one heard
them speaking in his own dialect.

(Acts 2:6 YLT) and the rumour of this having come, the multitude
came together, and was confounded, because they were each one
hearing them speaking in his proper dialect,

But the NIV and NASB sees it differently..

(Acts 2:6 NIV) When they heard this sound, a crowd came
together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking
in his own language.

(Acts 2:6 NNAS) And when this sound occurred, the crowd came
together, and were bewildered because each one of them was
hearing them speak in his own language.

Gives the connotation that people in the area actually HEARD the
sound themself. (heard this sound)

acts-02-06 GENOMENHS DE THS FWNHS TAUTHS
SUNHLQEN TO PLHQOS KAI SUNEXUQH OTI HKOUON EIS
EKASTOS TH IDIA DIALEKTW LALOUNTWN AUTWN

Anybody wanna take a crack at this ?

thanks!

Pastor Dan Oglesby
Community Revival Center Church
Where God is Alive and Moving by His Spirit
http://www.crcc-oca.org