Re: Acts 1:10

From: John M. Moe (John.M.Moe-1@tc.umn.edu)
Date: Tue May 11 1999 - 12:33:40 EDT

Carl,
Thanks for your response to my question regarding the possibility of a
"genitive of Apposition". You wrote:

>(1) I really don't see how that's possible. Although some grammars
might
>list it, I don't really think a "genitive of apposition" exists as
such;

Perhaps my choice of terminology was poor. I was thinking in terms of
what is described by Benjamin Chapman and Gary Steven Shogren on p. 15
of their Greek New Testament Insert, as follows

Epexegetical (or Genitive of Apposition, Defining). [WHICH IS or NAMELY
or CONSISTING OF] In apposition, two substantives in the same case
refer to the same thing. But an epexegetical genitive may follow a
substantive of any case and further identify that substantive.

hO DOUS HMIN TON ARRABWNA TOU PNEUMATOS (2Cor. 5:5)
He who gave us the down payment which is the spirit

I'm a bit confused at this point (happens all too often when I look too
long and too close at something) and I don't know if it's my thinking in
English, some hangover of the Hebrew construct, or just fuzzy
headedness, but the double reference to time strikes me as clumsy, and
POREUOMENOU AUTOU seems like it could possibly "further identify" TON
OURANON. Can you help me clear my head? or do you think that might
require some more violent action than that which is possible by email?
:-)

JM

--

Rev. John M. Moe St. John's Lutheran Church, Rich Valley http://www.state.net/sjrv/