Re: Acceptable Pseudonymity?

From: Edgar M. Krentz (ekrentz@lstc.edu)
Date: Thu May 13 1999 - 17:45:06 EDT

>At 11:06 AM 5/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>It seems to me that one of the facets of our discussion(s) of pseudonymity
>>and the canonical Pauline corpus deserves to be unpacked further. To wit:
>>what evidence is there that pseudonymity was an accepted device in the
>>developing church in the first century? (And yes, I'm assuming the
>>existence of a generally "orthodox", homogenous body of Christianity from
>>the earliest days.)
>
>Many years ago Kurt Aland wrote a very seminal article on this subject. I
>dont remember the exact title- but perhaps Edgar will recall it. It was
>something like "The NT and Pseudonymity". In this essay Aland discusses all
>the relevant issues. Those interested really should get a copy and look at
>it. I think it was published in JBL or NT Studies or some other well known
>and fairly accesible journal.

Pseudepigraphy Bibliography

This is a rather comprehensive English bibliography of modern works on
pseudepigraphy. The topic is important for reconstructing early Christian
origins and dating early Christian literature.

* Aland, Kurt. "The Problem of Pseudonymity in Christian Literature of the
First Four Centuries," JTS 12 (1961) 39-49; rep. as pp. 1-13 in The
Authorship and Integrity of the New Testament. Theological Collections 4.
London: SPCK, 1965.
Bauckman, R. E. "Pseudo-Apostolic Letters," JBL 107 (1988) 469-494.
Bauer, Walter. RechtglŠbigkeit und Ketzerei im Šltesten Christentum. 2.
Aufl., ed. Georg Strecker. BHTh 10. TŸbingen: Mohr, 1964: 15-16; 22-26;
169; 184-186. English translation: Orthodoxy and Heresy.
Beckwith, Roger. "The Ancient Attitude to Pseudonymity, pp. 346-358 in The
Old Testament Canon of the New Testament Church: and Its Background in
Early Judaism. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1985.
Brockington, L. H. "The Problem of Pseudonymity, JTS 4 (1953) 15-22. Review
of OT Pseudonymity.
Brown, R. E. "Enduring Problems in Canonicity," JBC 531-534.
Campenhausen, Hans Freiherr von. Ecclesiastical Authority and Spiritual
Power in the Church of the First Three Centuries. Tr. J. A. Baker.
Stanford: Stanford Un. Pr., 1969: 76-123; 149-177.
Candlish, James S. "On the Moral Character of Pseudonymous Books," Exp 4th
Series, 4 (1891) 91-107; 262-279.
Charlesworth, James H. "Definition of Pseudepigraphy," pp. xxiv-xxvii in
The Old Testament Pseudepigrapha I: Apocalyptic Literature and Testaments.
Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1983.
Collins, Raymond. "Ancient Writers," pp. 57-87 in Letters That Paul Did Not
Write. Good News Studies 28. Wilmington: Michael Glazier, 1988.
Dalton, W. J. "Pseudepigraphy in the New Testament," Catholic Theological
Review 5 (1983) 29-35.
* Dunn, James D. G. "The Problem of Pseudonymity," pp. 65-85 in The Living
Word. London: SCM, 1987.
Fenton, J. "Pseudonymity in the New Testament," Th 58 (1955) 51-66.
Goodspeed, Edgar John. "Psdeudonymity and Pseudepigraphy in Early Christian
Literature," New Chapters in New Testament Study. New York: Macmillan,
1937: 169-188.
* Guthrie, D. "The Development of the Idea of Canonical Pseudepigrapha in
New Testament Criticism," Vox Evangelica 1 (1962) 43-59; rep as pp. 14-39
in The Authorship and Integrity of the New Testament. Theological
Collections 4. London: SPCK, 1965.
Haefner, Alfred E. "A Unique Source for the Study of Ancient Pseudonymity,"
ATR 16 (1934) 8-15. A tr. of and commentary on Salvian's defense of his
circulating a treatise under Timothy's name, ca. 440 A.D.
Kalin, Everett. "The Inspiration of Tradition," CTM
Kiley, M. Colossians as Pseudepigraphy. Sheffield: JSOT, 1986.
Koch, K. "Pseudonymous Writing," IDBSup 712-714.
Lampe, G. W. H. "Inspiration and Revelation," IDB 2: 713-718.
Longenecker, Richard N. "Ancient Amanuenses and the Pauline Epistles," pp.
281-297 in New Dimensions in New Testament Study, ed. R. N. Longenecker and
M. C. Tenney. Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1974.
McArthur, H. "Computer Criticism," ExpT 76 (1965) 367-70.
Meade, D. G. Pseudonymity and Canon. WUNT 39. TŸbingen: J. C. B. Mohr, 1986
[reprint, Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans, 1987. Extensive bibliography.
* Metzger, Bruce M. "Literary Forgeries and Canonical Pseudepigrapha," JBL
91 (1972) 3-24.
Palmer, Leonard R. "Forgeries, Literary," OCD 367.
* Pseudepigraphie in der heidnische und jŸdisch-christlichen Antike. Ed. N.
Brox. Darmstadt: Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, 1977.
Rist, M. "Pseudepigraphic Refutations of Marcionism," JR 22 (1942) 39-62.
Pastorals a defense against heresy. Same pattern as non-canonical
defenses.
--------. "Pseudepigraphy and the Early Christians," pp. 75-91 in Studies
in New Testament and Early Christian Literature., ed. D. E. Aune. NTSupp
33. Leiden: Brill, 1972.
Schneemelcher, Wilhelm. "Acts of Paul," New Testament Apocrypha. Ed. Edgar
Hennecke and Wilhelm Schneemelcher. Tr. R. M. Wilson. Philadelphia:
Westminster, 1965. 2: 322-351. See pp. 323 and 351 for Tertullian's view
of pseudonymous writers.
--------. "General Introduction," 1: 19-68.
-------- and Knut SchŠferdiek. "Second and Third Century Acts of Apostles:
Introduction," 2: 167-188.
Stowers, Stanley K. Letter-Writing in Greco-Roman Antiquity. Philadelphia:
Westminster, 1986.
Vielhauer, Philipp. "Apocalypses and Related Subjects: Introduction," NTA
2: 581-607. See on prophecy from 200 B.C. to 200 A.D., pp. 601ff.
--------. "Apocalyptic in Early Christianity," NTA 2:608-642. Early
Christian prophets produced statement of Exalted Lord; 2:609-611.
White, John L. "Paul and the Apostolic Letter Tradition," CBQ 45 (1983)
433-444.
--------. Light from Ancient Letters. Foundations and Facets. Philadelphia:
Fortress, 1986.