Dative Participle Luke 8:27

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun May 16 1999 - 13:54:47 EDT

Luke 8:27 starts out:

EXELQONTI DE AUTWi EPI THN GHN hUPHNTHSEN ANHR . . .

I was tempted at first to call EXELQONTI DE AUTWi EPI THN GHN a dative
absolute, but I discovered that no one agreed with me on this so I set
about to try and figure out why not.

I think perhaps the answer is connected with the absence of an object
for hUPHNTHSEN. But I find AUTWi rather an unlikely candidate for the
role of object since it is clearly tied to the participle by the case
ending. If AUTWi is the object of hUPHNTHSEN then the participle
construction would not be absolute.

There must be a perfectly obvious answer to this which I am overlooking.
What is it?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point