Matt 11:28-30 chiasm or parallelism?

From: Steve Long (steve@allegrographics.com)
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 13:44:55 EDT

Is there a chiasm or parallelism happening here?

DEUTE PROS ME PANTES OI KOPIONTES KAI PEFORTISMENOI KAGW ANAPAUSW UMAS

ARATE TON ZUGON MOU EF UMAS KAI MAQETE AP EMOU

OTI PRAUS EIMI KAI TAPEINOS TH KARDIA KAI EURHSETE ANAPAUSIN TAIS YUCAIS HMWN

O YAR ZUGOS MOU CRHSTOS KAI TO FORTION MOU ELAFRON ESTIN

It seems to me as if there should be, but I can't see the pattern. It seems
as if CRHSTOS is a synonym of PRAUS and ELAFRON of TAPEINOS, kind-gentle,
humble-insignificant. Is there a wider pattern in these verses?

Would it be fair to say that his yoke, that which is attached to the oxen
to lead them, is kind and gentle, in other words he leads us with kindness
and gentleness, and the burden he places upon us is a requirement for
humility, to learn and be like him?

It seems as if there is some word play here in the use of CRHSTOS and ELAFRON.

Steve

| Allegro Graphics, Inc. -- Allegro Digital Media, Inc. |
| 4132 Industrial Drive

| Saint Peters, Missouri 63376 |