Re: Hebrews 11:1

From: Steve Long (steve@allegrographics.com)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 14:55:44 EDT

>So does HUPOSTASIS in Hebrews 11:1 mean substance,
>real nature, essence, as in the KJV, or the foundation
>or ground of hope, confidence, assurance, as in the
>RSV? I was amazed at the difference of opinion on this question that I
>found.
>
>In favor of something like "substance":

How about:

Faith is the underlying reality of our hope, conclusive proof of unseen facts.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think PRAGMATWN belongs to
ELPIZOMENWN and is implied with BLEPOMENWN because it agrees with both in
case and number.

I think the definite article is needed simply to smooth out the English,
not because it adds anything to the sense of the sentence.

Steve

| Allegro Graphics, Inc. -- Allegro Digital Media, Inc. |
| 4132 Industrial Drive

| Saint Peters, Missouri 63376 |