Re: Hebrews 11:1

From: Kevin L. Barney (klbarney@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri May 07 1999 - 14:46:43 EDT

I view the structure of this verse as either a simple parallelism
(following the RSV):

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for,
     the conviction of things not seen

or as an ABCBA chiasm as you (George) suggest at the beginning of your
post. (Or, as is often the case, both.) That the C element (PRAGMATWN)
goes with both A elements ties the structure up quite nicely.

What was not clear to me was why a chiastic structure would have any
bearing at all on the translation (unless one were intentionally trying to
preserve the structure in English, something that is often difficult if not
impossible to do).

Kevin L. Barney
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
klbarney@yahoo.com