RE: Matt 11:28-30

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue May 18 1999 - 12:56:48 EDT

At 8:29 AM -0500 5/18/99, Bill Ross wrote:
>>For my yoke is easy and my *burden* light
>
>Does anyone object to translating XRHSTOS as "ergonomic" or "user-friendly?"

It's a common epithet for slaves, at least in Attic Greek--and I rather
suspect that ONHSIMOS, as the name given to Philemon's slave, is simply
synonymous with CRHSTOS in that sense. Would you want to call a slave
"ergonomic" or "user-friendly"? This all strikes me, although I assume it
wasn't so meant, as having sexual overtones--and the verb CRHOMAI (I prefer
to write it that way rather than CRAOMAI, since the contract forms don't
follow normally A-W patterns) has, as one of its very many meanings, "take
advantage of sexually."

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu