Re: Grammatical errors in Revelation?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun May 16 1999 - 15:57:35 EDT

At 3:18 PM -0400 5/16/99, Jason Rachels wrote:
>Some have claimed that grammatical errors in Revelation distinguish it from
>books by John the apostle. Are any of you aware of "errors" in the Greek
>or have any input on the authorship of Revelation.

We don't normally deal with questions of disputed authorship on B-Greek;
suffice it to say that there are a number of items in Revelation that those
who look for standard grammatical constructions would term
"solecisms"--barbaric deviations from standard usage, and certainly the
presence of these is one of the factors that those inclined to doubt the
author was John the Apostle make part of their argument (of course the book
claims to be written by John "the Elder" rather than John "the Apostle" in
any case).

One of the odd things, others will add others and there is a list, I think,
of them in BDF:

        1:8 ... hO WN KAI hO HN KAI hO ESOMENOS

where the articular participles and standard and common, but the
combination of the finite verb HN with an article is, to my knowledge,
unexampled elsewhere in Greek except where it imitates this.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu