Re: Grammatical errors in Revelation?

From: George Blaisdell (maqhth@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun May 16 1999 - 23:20:14 EDT

<x-flowed>Hi Jim ~

I got done reading your post and wanted to find that rotten writer and just
give him a piece of my mind!!

>From: Jim West
>you wrote:

>If we, for a moment, forget that the book is found in the canon
>of scripture, and grade it simply on its merits as a greek document, we can
>surely agree that it does not measure up very highly as a competent
>construction.

This is looking pretty bad for the writer of it, huh.

>It is only ideology which keeps us from such an assertion.
>In this case, it is the ideology, spoken or not, that since it is a
>biblical document it must be good.

Well, it IS a little hard to set aside its inclusion in the Bible ~ For me
that minute is close to eternal... :-)

>Whether or not hebraisms or semiticisms are involved has no bearing on the
>fact that the greek is poor.

Sure doesn't seem to 'measure up' hardly at all... Bad Greek.

>This seems to me to be an effort to excuse the
>author for poor work rather than an explanation of it.

The Author's poor work is obviously VERY inexcusable...

>Again, such an effort to explain away really does not explain why someone
>writing Greek writes it so poorly. Perhaps the writer is a semite. Well
>and good. And suppose he is doing his best- again, well and good. But the
>fact remains, attempts to ameliorate notwithstanding, that the greek is
>bad.

Terrible!!

Thinking about this, perhaps the writer had no Greek scribe to write it for
him this time, and perhaps he was very old and feeble ~ Maybe even kinda
simpleminded to begin with ~ Not too quick mentally, if you get my
meaning... [A good man to know...]

Perhaps, perhaps ~

Does it matter that he would flunk a Greek composition class?
SOMEONE didn't seem to think so.... I wanna be in His pile!

George