Re: Grammatical errors in Revelation?

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan.robie@sagus.com)
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 17:49:10 EDT

At 04:52 PM 5/16/99 -0400, Jim West wrote:

>On the "errors" of Rev - yes, it is terrible greek.

I am uncomfortable with the assumption that we can make this kind of
judgement. Revelation is certainly effective and breathtaking language
which has captured the imagination of many people.

It is also unusual Greek, different in style from the rest of the New
Testament. But most of it is understandable, and gripping, if breathless
and idiosyncratic. It reminds me of a Van Gogh who piles on paint instead
of brushing it on.

Remember when people used to say that Hemingway was badly written? Many
English writers are idiosyncratic - E.E. Cummings, Faulkner, Langston
Hughes...I suppose we could say each of these wrote 'terrible English', but
that would be missing the point.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://metalab.unc.edu/koine