Re: Grammatical errors in Revelation?

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed May 19 1999 - 06:41:16 EDT

At 10:41 PM -0400 5/18/99, ParkL@aol.com wrote:
>Out of curiosity, did any of the early Christian writers complain about the
>bad Greek grammar of the book of Revelation? And if they didn't consider it
>to be poor Greek, perhaps Revelation's grammar is merely a permutation of the
>Koine, an example of relatively fluid grammar, because it was the linguistic
>"coin of the realm".
>
>Park Linscomb
>minister of the gospel
>Manchester church of Christ

This is not really the place to talk about history of the canon as such,
but from what I have read, the place of Revelation in the canon was debated
at some length and it was not until the tenth century that its place in the
canon was secure. I don't think, however, that the Greek grammar of the
document was a major factor in the debate.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu