Re: Eph. 2:15

From: CEP7@aol.com
Date: Fri May 21 1999 - 17:20:27 EDT

In a message dated 5/21/99 12:28:05 PM, zellmer@cag.pworld.net.ph writes:

<< On the surface, it appears to me as if the genitives and both
prepositional phrases modify the verb, the genitives describing the
source material, the EN phrase, giving the sphere (or perhaps agency),
and the EIS phrase, the goal or end. The object of EIS is ANQRWPON,
with hENA and KAINON being adjectives describing ANQRWPON. The direct
object is never specifically stated. The construction as stated in
English, with the necessary change of word order: "in order that he
might, in him[self], create [a creation] into one new man out of the
two."

I realize it doesn't flow smoothly when we handle it strictly literally,
but KTIZW doesn't take a genitive "direct object," and it would be even
more difficult to make a prepositional phrase play that role. And the
three actions expressed by the phrases *are* all of the same ilk (source
material, sphere of activity, and final product). To have each be a
modifier of the verbal action does seem to follow a common Pauline
grammatical pattern, although we many times would expect to see EK on
the genitive/ablative phrase.

Hope this helps,

Paul >>

I would like to make a correction. TOUS DUO is accusative, not genitive, and
therefore it serves as the direct object. The action of KTISHi is performed
on the two.

Charles Powell
DTS
cep7@aol.com