Re: Eph 2:15

From: Paul Zellmer (zellmer@cag.pworld.net.ph)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 08:29:16 EDT

Andrew, let me make another brief attempt. Let's take the English
sentence, "Time changes the boy into a man." I think you'll have no
problems seeing "the boy" as the direct object. What is the function of
the prepositional phrase, "into a man"? It's adverbial, giving the goal
of the action. A similar function is being done in the Greek in Eph
2:15.

Diagramming? The EIS phrase is placed as an adverbial modifier of
KTISHi, just like the EN phrase. I know of no way to relate the EIS
phrase to the direct object (adjectivally).

A suggestion: you might want to check an English grammar to see how that
language handles such constructions. I'll bet you'll find something
very similar to what I described above.

HTH (Hope this helps),

Paul

Andrew Bowman wrote:

> I would like to thank all that contributed answers to my question
> regarding Eph. 2:15. They have been informative. Unfortunately, they
> have not addressed what I specifically wanted to know. The phrase
> which we are dealing with is hINA TOUS DUO KTISHi EN AUTWi EIC hENA
> KAINON ANQROPWN. TOUS DUO is definitely the direct object of KTISHi
> referring to what is being created. EN AUTWi is"in himself (Christ)"
> modifying the verb explaining where the action is taking place, or how
> the action is taking place (some clarity or opinion here would be
> appreciated). The main question that I have to how to grammatically
> link EIS ANQROPON to the rest of the sentence. Is it modifying the
> verb, expressing "?" (I have no idea what it would be expressing), or
> is it modifying DUO and again I am not sure how is would be relating
> to it. Paul Zellmer indicated that it is not likely that it would
> functioning as the direct object of the verb, which was my initial
> thought. My reasoning is that the this is the result of the creation
> process that Christ is doing within himself, as God created man, So
> Christ is creating the new man. I have a sense of what Paul is
> communicating through this passage, but I would like to be very
> precise both in diagramming it grammatically, and discussing it
> technically in my paper. Any help answer these two questions would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andrew Bowman.

Ibanag Translation Project
Cabagan, Isabela, Rep. of Philippines

zellmer@cag.pworld.net.ph