RE: Pros

From: Bill Ross (wross@farmerstel.com)
Date: Sat May 22 1999 - 23:25:13 EDT

PROS also means "with."

An example is the opening of John's Gospel:

EN ARKH HN hO LOGOS KAI hO LOGOS HN PROS TON THEON. ("In the beginning was
the Word and the Word was *with* God.")

Since you use the accusative with the object in either case, only context
distinuishes whether you mean "with" or "towards."

In the example above, it is generally taken as meaning "with." What is your
friends' theory about the word?

Bill Ross