Re: Pros

From: Wes Williams (WesWilliams@usa.net)
Date: Mon May 24 1999 - 10:30:38 EDT

>From: Jim West <jwest@highland.net>
>Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 12:17:15 -0400
>
>At 09:31 AM 5/23/99 -0400, you wrote:
>
>I didnt say that you did Carl. That was my statement. In short- pros is
>directional and sun is symbiotic. Pros ton theon means "The Word was
>towards God- Godward, a sign pointing at God. Sun ton theon would imply
>"the word was WITH God (in some sort of symbiotic relationship.)"

Jim,

In the light of the use of EINAI PROS TINA in Matt. 13:56 I'm having
difficulty with the short statement you provided and was hoping you could
help. PROS is used with a form of the stative verb EIMI, just as in John
1:1.

Matt 13:55 Is this not the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary,
and his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas? 56 And his sisters,
are they not all with (PROS) us?

In what way were the sisters 'a sign pointing at "us?"' Could you provide
more clarification on what you have in mind?

I thought that Carl's post of LSJ was helpful. I can see "towards" if used
with a verb for which an accusative of place is appropriate. But in Matt.
13:56/ John 1:1, we have a stative verb that open up the possibilities
beyond accusative of place. After considering the options that Carl posted
in LSJ, I thought that option C. with accus. 5., II fit best with these
two.

5. without any hostile sense, agoreuein eipein pros tina to address oneself
to him, Il.; ameibesqai prosj tina Hdt.; also of communing with oneself,
eipe pros hon megalhtora qumon proti hon muqhsato qumon. Il.:-of all sorts
of intercourse,

Does this 'with' in the sense of 'all sorts of intercourse' fit better than
a 'sign pointing at TINA.' It also distinguishes from SUN.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams