Re: relative pronoun in Mk 1:44

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 02 1999 - 15:02:44 EDT

At 12:23 PM -0500 6/2/99, Jeffrey B. Gibson wrote:
>Several questions:
>
>First, is the relative pronoun in Mk 1:44 (the neuter plural A) an
>instance in which the RP is used with what Wallace calls an imbedded
>antecedent?

Yes, I think so, but this is not uncommon classical Attic as well.

>Second, is this use, if it be so, of the RP with a demonstrative pronoun
>incorporated with in it ("those things which) characteristic of Mark. Can
>such usage be found elsewhere in his Gospel.

They say that two's a coincidence, three make you wonder. I found (using
AcCordance) two other neuter plural accusative instances of hA with
implicit antecedent:

Mk 7:4 ... KAI ALLA POLLA ESTIN hA PARELABON KRATEIN, BAPTISMOUS POTHRIWN
KAI XESTWN KAI CALKIWN ... One might argue that ALLA POLLA is an
antecedent, but I'd rather say that there's an implicit "traditional
practices" which is the true antecedent of hA here, and that ALLA POLLA is
a qualifier to that implicit antecedent.

Mk 9:9 ... KAI KATABAINONTWN AUTWN EK TOU OROUS DIESTEILATO AUTOIS hINA
MHDENI hA EIDON DIHGHSWNTAI ... Here we could translate hA EIDON as "what
they say" but of course it really means "those things which they saw."

>Third, is there any real distinction between the meaning of PROSENEKKON TO
>DWRON hO ktl in Matt 8:4 and Mark' s PROSENEGKE .... A PROSETAXEN ktl.?

Not really, both are forms of an aorist active singular imperative; Mark's
PROSENEGKE is the more traditional second aorist thematic imperative; while
Matthew's PROSENEGKON uses the imperative sg. active ending of the
sigmatic/alpha aorist. Ironically, however, HNEGKON/HNEGKA already has this
morphological dualism in Homer; it's probably the oldest second-aorist verb
to adopt alpha conjugational forms for the aorist.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu