Re: 1 Kg. 15:13 ( LXX query )

From: atombomb@sirius.com
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 15:18:16 EDT

Blessed be God.

By the way I think you mean 3 Kgd. 15.13. For reference here's 12-14:
kai afeilen tas teletas apo ths ghs kai exapesteilen panta ta
epithdeumata, a epoihsan oi pateres autou. kai thn Ana thn mhtera
autou metesthsen tou mh einai hgoumenhn, kaqws epoihsen sunodon en twi
alsei auths kai exekoyen Asa tas kataduseis auths kai eneprhsen puri
en twi ceimarrwi Kedrwn. ta de uyhla ouk exhren...

So, regarding this discussion, unfortunately I can't give you any
references because my files are in rather bad disarray at the moment,
but a lot of this makes perfect sense if we understand, as a number of
scholars do, that an asherah was apparently a tree planted near an
altar and severely pruned in some way-- it seems that it may even have
been the prototype of the menorah. (I do seem to remember that there
was one illuminating article, I believe in JSOT about a year or year
and half ago, on this topic.) This would explain how the asherah can
be described variously as being 'planted', 'cut down', and 'burned'
etc, and be translated as "alsos" (sacred grove, which was a feature
of Greek religion). Perhaps by the time the LXX was translated the
memory of what an asherah really was had been more or less lost-- in
addition to the usual problem of trying to find a word that will work
in a language that doesn't have the concept-- so you get translations
like "alsos", and so forth; or, alternatively, there may actually have
been "groves", if there were more than one asherah planted in one
place-- and then you could see where a "synodos" would be possible
"in" it, and also how certain abominable rites might be practiced in
it also.

Katadysis is kata+dyw. Kata contains the idea in this case of "down"
(like Xenophon's 'katabasis', a word which is used also in the NT to
mean the 'con-descension' of God to us); dyw has the idea of going
into or entering. So this place is thought of by the LXX translator
as a place of going down into-- we might think of a cave, except
there's more than one, apparently the "alseis" grow in them, and King
Asa is busily "cutting [them] down" etc. So perhaps the translator
envisions a grove(s) in a valley(s), or place(s) in or near the Temple
that one 'went down' to (and remember, since you always 'go up' to the
altar or to the sanctuary, that could be just about anywhere else).

By the way, I'm not convinced that all the discussions about the
expression "The blessings of Yhwh and his asherah" which you find in
the Kuntillet Arjud inscription necessarily refer to a female consort
of Yhwh as everyone uncritically accepts. I think, in the light of
passages such as these, that you could as much read the inscription as
more or less like "The blessings of Yhwh and his sanctuary".... but
that's off the topic of this list, so I'll stop.

Regards to all.

Glory to Jesus Christ!

John Burnett, MA (OT)