Re: THi ELEUQERIAi in Gal 5:1 DE NOVO

From: Eric Weiss (eweiss@gte.net)
Date: Thu Jun 03 1999 - 09:19:10 EDT

[I figured our further conversation on this probably ought to be on the B-Greek
discussion, so I took the "freedom" to send this (which contains our last 2(?)
exchanges) also to B-Greek. I hope you don't mind.]

The hHi [with which] was "my idea" - in/by the freedom [with which] Christ freed
us." It was the best way I could figure to translate into English what I thought
was a possible translation of 4:31-5:1(a) if they're viewed as one verse. Anyway,
I'm teaching/preaching from Galatians (verse-by-verse - I did 1 & 2 last time and
will do 3 &maybe 4 this Sunday) - and when I get to 4:31/5:1 I wanted to suggest
the Expositor's GT's and my own alternative translation(s), so I appreciate your
input.

Along with this, a master's thesis on the internet:

(http://www.bible.org/docs/nt/books/gal/sawyer/toc.htm) - a discourse analysis of
Galatians

concludes (http://www.bible.org/docs/nt/books/gal/sawyer/gal-06.htm):

"After an examination of the higher level semantic unity of Galatians, it became
readily apparent that the structure of the book hinged around one verse, 5:1. In
this verse the theme of the book is found stated explicitly, albeit in terms which
Paul has been using in his allegory of Hagar and Sarah. Even these terms, however,
he has equated with Law and faith by obvious references in argument up to this
point. Therefore, 5:1 has been chosen as the theme statement of the book."

This conclusion comes after saying
(http://www.bible.org/docs/nt/books/gal/sawyer/gal-02.htm):

"P35 (5:1) STAND AND DO NOT BE SUBJECT TO THE YOKE OF BONDAGE. - The theme of this
paragraph is the explicit conclusion stated in the th' ejleuqeriva hJma'" Cristos"
hjleuevrwsen (to freedom, us, Christ set free). Since it is a conclusion it is more
prominent than its grounds. Even in this short paragraph there is an important
lexical item repeated, ejleuqriva/hjleuqevrwsen (freedom). The coherence in this
two-proposition paragraph is seen by the use of ouj'n (therefore) which joins these
two propositions."

I'm not sure, though, how this "different" rendering of 4:31/5:1(a) would affect
his conclusion or view of the semantic structure of this passage.

"Carl W. Conrad" wrote:

> And there doesn't seem to be any problem with the deictic article: I've
> found references to other GNT uses. Regards, c
>
> At 6:28 AM -0500 6/3/99, Eric Weiss wrote:
> >Yes, I find it interesting, too, and the Exp. GT lists/discusses the variants.
> >As I said, this translator is somewhat iconoclastic and even idiosyncratic at
> >points, but his suggestion is intriguing.
> >
> >Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> >> Let me see if I've got this right. That would be reading the text thus:
> >> DIO, ADELFOI, OUK ESMEN PAIDISKHS TEKNA ALLA THS ELEUQERAS THi ELEUQERIAi
> >> (hHi) hHMAS CRISTOS ELEUQERWSEN.
> >>
> >> Interesting. That still requires the hHi which doesn't seem to be in the
> >> earliest MSS; it also seems to me to require the use of the article THi
> >> with a nigh-unto demonstrative force; of course the article WAS originally
> >> a demonstrative pronoun and is often enough still used that way in
> >> classical Attic, but I wonder whether that usage is sufficiently well
> >> attested in Koine.
> >>
> >> Carl W. Conrad
> >> Department of Classics, Washington University
> >> Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(828) 675-4243
> >> cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
> >> WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/
> >

> >--
> >"Eric S. and Karol-Ann Weiss"
> >http://home1.gte.net/eweiss/index.htm
> >eweiss@gte.net
> >S.D.G.
>
> Carl W. Conrad
> Department of Classics, Washington University
> Summer: 1647 Grindstaff Road/Burnsville, NC 28714/(828) 675-4243
> cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
> WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/

--
Eric S. Weiss